Monday, March 2, 2015

It's Monday, What Are You Reading?

Good morning! Wherever you are, I hope your week is off to a good start.  The last few weeks were incredibly busy for me, but also really, really good.  I had some interviews, saw a bunch of old friends, and got to do one of my favorite things - traveling!

Reading while on the go is so satisfying to me.  For every small delay or thing I have absolutely zero control over - like, say, a train car catching fire or losing power, both of which happened on these trips (!) - I'm able to work on my own frame of mind.  Reading helps...plus, it's distracting :)


While I was on said train with no power, I finished up 168 Hours: You Have More Time Than You Think by Laura Vanderkam.  I found out about Vanderkam through Everyday Reading, a really lovely book and lifestyle blog, and am glad I did.  One of my goals for this year is to read more non-fiction, and this was a good kick in the pants to get started on managing my time more effectively and feeling motivated about it.  I've got another one of her books, All The Money In The World: What the Happiest People Know About Getting and Spending, on hold at the library, and I'm interested to see how she approaches a different theme.

That in turn got me to pick up The Power of Habit by Charles Duhigg, which I'd been looking at for ages.  It passed my initial test (do you keep reading after the first few pages?), but I'm not sure about the style.  It reminds me a bit of Malcolm Gladwell, whose books I haven't been able to stay interested in - weird, but true.

Since I was traveling, I hadn't been able to pick up my first Classics Club book, The Brothers Karamazov by Fyodor Dostoyevsky, so I borrowed the audiobook to listen to on OverDrive.  It's not the same translation as my "real" book, but hey, anything to get this sucker read!

What are you reading this week?

No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!