Thursday, March 5, 2015

Books for A Snowy Day (Part II)


*Clears throat*

I have an exciting announcement to make (don't get too excited) --

I think I've found my sweet spot when it comes to nonfiction.

A few months ago, Karen from One More Page tweeted about finding a good nonfiction book that wasn't also over 500 pages.  Readable, engaging nonfiction that isn't either flashy or too dry - is that possible?

(Many of you who read nonfiction regularly are rolling your eyes, because, duh. I, however, was more skeptical.)

Here's what I've discovered in the last few months, though, and what's become my (obvious) secret - read whatever the fl*ff you want.  What are you interested in? Read about that - and if the book doesn't hold you, put it down.

This was very good news, of course, for this post.  Here are a few of my newest favorites, which have been getting a lot of face time in this dismal wintry weather:

Daily Rituals: How Artists Work edited and with text by Mason Currey.  I had heard of his website years ago, but never much got into it, and then stumbled across the book while I was at the library.  I'm fascinated by how other people live their day-to-day, and the short pieces on artists ranging from John Adams to Andy Warhol are just right for waiting for the shuttle/metro to take you home again.

Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World That Can't Stop Talking by Susan Cain.  Everyone and their mother has been talking about this one, so I'll keep it short.  From the back cover: "Passionately argued, superbly researched, and filled with indelible stories of real people, Quiet has the power to permanently change how we see introverts and, equally important, how they see themselves." Perfect for dodging the chatty Cathy next to you at your gate (or, you know, starting a great conversation!).

All the Money in the World: What the Happiest People Know About Getting and Spending by Laura Vanderkam.  I first read Vanderkam's 168 Hours: You Have More Time Than You Think, and I really enjoy her voice and writing style.  While I don't find everything applicable, and I sometimes think she can be a little off base, I think the questions that she asks are fantastic.  She seems to really explore the range of time (and here, money) issues that come up, and the more philosophical questions behind them.  Definitely recommend.

What are your favorite reads for snowy, traveling days? How do you feel about nonfiction?

No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!