Monday, March 9, 2015

Classics Club Update

In lieu of an "It's Monday, What Are You Reading?" post, I thought I'd write about my Classics Club progress.  I'm rolling my way through The Brothers Karamazov by Fyodor Dostoyevsky, and am not finding it as arduous and mind-numbing as I'd anticipated.  (Am I being too honest?) I'm happy to say that I like the way I've split up the chapters, and when thinking about writing this update, I realized I'd...rather be reading.  Ha! It's engaging and I like it even more now that I've gotten past the part I've read six or seven times (double ha).  I'm proud of myself for sticking to it.  Now it seems wherever I go I find another one of the books on my list - more incentive to read this one and keep going.

Here's a favorite recently-read excerpt:

"'I love mankind,' he said, 'but I marvel at myself: the more I love mankind in general, the less I love human beings in particular, separately, that is, as individual persons.  In my dreams,' he said, 'I would often arrive at fervent plans of devotion to mankind and might very possibly have gone to the Cross for human beings, had that been suddenly required of me, and yet I am unable to spend two days in the same room with someone else, and this I know from experience.  No sooner is that someone else close to me than his personality crushes my self-esteem and hampers my freedom." Dostoyevsky, p. 79

Are you working your way through the classics? Have you read The Brothers Karamazov before?

Follow my blog with Bloglovin

No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!