Monday, January 5, 2015

It's Monday, What Are You Reading?

First Monday of the year! Filled with potential, frigid morning air, and hopefully some warm beverage to hold while you read. Sheba gorged herself on cat food this weekend, I came back from holiday travel (fun! exhausting!), and we're both getting back to being snug as bugs in our tiny toasty apartment.

I'm not sure where this Monday themed post started, but I've seen a bunch of book bloggers doing it and I like the way it brings in the week, so here's my version!

Short things to start with:

  • This quote on courage.
  • Reviews of the Saffiano Organizer by Filofax - there's a very intense planner blogging niche out there.
  • A list of objects throughout the year from my new favorite blog.

Books:


I rang in the New Year with Lila by Marilynne Robinson and some snuggly cats with seriously powerful purrs.  I didn't want to put it down, and looked forward to moments when I could sneak away and keep working at it.  As with Gilead, I feel like it needs another read, and I want to go back and savor it.

That was the book I'd brought with me for reading while traveling, and after I finished, I browsed through the very well stocked shelves of my mother's mystery collection and picked out The Murder at the Vicarage by Agatha Christie.  The copy is around 35 years old and almost crumbling, but I love it so far.  I think it'll be an easy and engaging read.

I'm still fully engrossed in A Mercy by Toni Morrison, and am taking my time.  I've found some parts of it more challenging to read than others - keeping the different voices and perspectives together in my mind - and will be renewing it from the library.

What are you reading? Did anyone else spend New Year's cuddled up with a book?

No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!