Sunday, December 7, 2014

Refresher

Well, here we are in December.  I read, I didn't blog about it.



Back to the drawing board! Blogging about books...nothing too fancy.

I spent October and November reading comforty, not very challenging (but delicious to curl up with and escape in) books.  Some of the titles I've already forgotten about, others I wrote down.  Most of what I was trying to gain in that goal I set for myself a few months ago was improvement.  There are so many fantastic books out there, with juicy story lines and characters that churn my stomach in excitement and literally make me put down the book because I can't stand what I think's coming.  I hope I keep reading more of them, in whatever form they come - thriller, historical fiction, best-selling author or totally unknown-to-me.

Let's do this - right now I'm reading:

A Mercy by Toni Morrison.  I haven't read any Toni Morrison in years, and given the events that have taken place over the last several months and weeks, I've decided to put my reading choices where my mouth is and read more diverse books.  It's a small start, but I'm looking forward to researching more and diving in - I've got a lot of catching up to do.  This is a list I'm excited about - anyone have more suggestions, or places to look?







The Song of Achilles by Madeline Miller.  Finishing this one up! Those last few chapters have taken me weeks (is...that weird to tell people? ha) mostly because I know how this story ends and I've gotten so attached to the characters that I just want to leave it where it is.  I really enjoyed the development of their personalities and their entwined stories, the fact that the characters changed while retaining their voices, and that the story was such a cool concept.






Animal, Vegetable, Miracle: A Year of Food Life by Barbara Kingsolver.  This one I found through a friend of a friend, and I'm enjoying it more than her fiction.  Essentially, her family decides to move from Arizona to an older family farm in Virginia and eat what they can grow and find locally.  The recipes she includes are mouth-watering, the anecdotes are vivid, the questions and data thought-provoking.







What are you reading right now? What books can't you put down?


No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!