Thursday, July 24, 2014

Currently Listening To...

Thrive: The Third Metric to Redefining Success and Creating a Life of Well-Being, Wisdom, and Wonder by Arianna Huffington

What I'm enjoying so far: The focus on scientific studies and quotes from doctors, researchers, and regular people who are taking wellness seriously when it comes to work-life balance.  I also enjoy the excerpts from literary sources like T.S. Eliot and Rumi, though I think those would be better in print, rather than somewhat unexpectedly out-of-context over audio.

What I hope to see more developed or resolved: While the book does seem filled with practical examples and anecdotes, which are useful, I hope I'll hear more about younger women - or younger people - who are really starting or beginning to develop their careers and taking this concept with them.  It would be a shame and a waste if the realities of this book were only directed towards upper-level career women.

My thoughts on the audio book: I like that they chose someone who is also Greek to read this book - or at least, it seems like a very smart PR choice.  The woman sounds very similar to interviews I've heard with Ms. Huffington, (obviously) because of her accent and the intonation and rhythm of her speech.

Have you ever read Thrive? What were your thoughts? Had you heard the hype around this book?

No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!