Tuesday, November 17, 2015

Reading Wish-List

Now that space is limited and most of my funds are funneled to school, having a reading wish-list is almost its own dream.  That said, thanks to my library I don't really feel like I'm lacking - any book on my wish-list is a possibility!

Now that's living big :)

Time - unlimited time to read - well, if I could squeeze out more of that (and I just might!), here's what I'd choose:



The Wind Up Bird Chronicle by Haruki Murakami
I hadn't taken a closer look at this book by Murakami until an "employee picks" card at my local bookstore caught my attention.  They described it as an adult Alice In Wonderland, and after reading the first few pages, I was hooked.

Opera 101: A Complete Guide to Learning and Loving Opera by Fred Plotkin
Aside from the fact that this guy has a terrific name, this book is immensely readable.  I wandered into the Metropolitan Opera after having moved to the city and saw this gem after (naturally) finding the bookstore.  His writing is clear and relatable, and I wanted to buy it right away.  For those who, like me, are secret (or not so secret) fans of opera, or anyone who wants to learn more about opera, this is one to add to your list.

Anne of Green Gables by L.M. Montgomery
As a kid, the Anne of Green Gables series never did anything for me, but they were some of the only books on the shelves at Girl Scout Camp when I was a teenager.  I worked several summers there, and picked up one or two - I'd love to take a closer look, maybe as a wintery escape.  Plus, have you seen pictures of Prince Edward Island?

The Case of the Man Who Died Laughing (A Vish Puri Mystery) by Tarquin Hall
It's no secret that I'm a big fan of the Vish Puri mysteries, but I haven't picked this one up.  The series is terrific for a number of reasons: the rich, vivid descriptions of India, the incredibly well-developed characters, the intriguing storylines - and on and on.  It's been a long time since I've read one of Hall's novels, and I would love to hide away with this one.

How to Win Friends and Influence People by Dale Carnegie
Over the summer I became a non-fiction (specifically, finance and business-related) aficionado.  Carnegie's classic went right up on my list.  Not only is it timeless, it's approachable and action-oriented.  The title originally put me off (I mean, come ON), but it's filled with wise little tidbits that will, I imagine, serve me well one day.

What's on your reading wish-list? If you make one, what are the qualities you look for in an author or a book?

2 comments:

  1. I have the first of the Vish Pury Mysteries to read. I still have't read Anne of Green Gables, but it is on my must read list. I hope that school is going well and that you are still managing some good reading time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Steph! School has been going well - my most recent read is "My Brilliant Friend" by Elena Ferrante and am loving it. Thanks for stopping by :)

      Delete