Friday, June 5, 2015

Happy Friday!

Hello again and Happy Friday (the first Friday in June)! 

How are you? What are you reading? How has your spring been? I hope that life has been treating you well.  Thanks for sticking with me - I'm glad to be back.

Since I haven't been blogging about it, what have I been reading for the last month and change?


Hello from the Gillespies by Monica McInnerney
Lost Lake by Sarah Addison Allen
A Pocket Full of Rye by Agatha Christiee
The Bishop's Wife by Mette Ivie Harrison
The House of the Spirits by Isabel Allende
Skin Cleanse by Adina Grigore
The Pioneer Woman: Black Heels to Tractor Wheels by Ree Drummond
What I Talk About When I Talk About Running by Haruki Murakami

All of which I have genuinely enjoyed, some more than others.  I finished Murakami's book yesterday morning, and if you like essays, memoirs, or sports, definitely read it.  I found it both calm and relatable, and it made me want to pick up another of his shorter works - maybe essays.

In addition to terrific library finds, this spring has turned into a "cup runneth over" experience with books. While visiting with family, I was very generously given How To Be Both by Ali Smith, which I've been wanting to read for ages - and then a friend lent me Wolf Hall by Hilary Mantel, which I started to read while waiting for the bus (and LOVE so far, good gravy).

Then last week, as I was walking back from grocery shopping, I saw a yard sale with a box of books and stopped to look.  You know where this story is going, of course. I flipped through the books while balancing my bags, and picked up three - The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao by Junot Diaz, Cutting for Stone by Abraham Verghese, and The Lover by A.B. Yehoshua.  How much did they cost? Twenty-five cents each.  It was, if I were the dramatic type, as if the heavens opened up and practically gave them to me.  So they now sit on my to-be-read pile as well, with some picks from your blogs over the last several weeks.

They're not fancy new books, but just right for me, and what I so love about reading and book blogging.

Have a wonderful weekend :)

P.S. Has anyone else been watching Outlander?? Any thoughts on the end of the first series? The more I watch, the more I keep re-reading, and thinking about how they're going to work the end of the second season! I'm ridiculously excited to follow along.

No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!