Wednesday, June 10, 2015

Currently


Reading: 1. This Is Where I Leave You by Jonathan Tropper.  I know this one is coming out (has already come out?) as a movie, and the book reads that way.  I was looking for a lighter summer read, and it kind of fits the bill - the writing style/author's voice is very readable, and yet at the same time it's also about family dysfunction.  So far I like it, but I hope the plot picks up.  Amen.

2. Wolf Hall by Hilary Mantel.  WH, how do I love thee? Let me count the ways. I watched one episode of the miniseries when I was visiting with my family and was...underwhelmed.  The book, however, is so well written I almost can't stand it.  I'm not usually the early historical fiction fan, and I'm not very far in, but I have the feeling it will fly by.  Here's an excerpt:

Wolsey looks at his expression, and laughs.  Squabbling underlings! He knows quite well that, dissatisfied with their original parentage, they are fighting to be his favorite son.  "Whatever you think of Master Stephen, he is well grounded in canon law, and a very persuasive fellow, except when he tries to persuade you.  I will tell you ---" He breaks off; he leans forward, he puts his great lion's head in his hands, the head that would indeed have worn the papal tiara, if at the last election the right money had been paid out to the right people. "I have begged him," the cardinal says.  "Thomas, I sank to my knees and from that humble posture I tried to dissuade him.  Majesty, I said, be guided by me.  Nothing will ensue, if you wish to be rid of your wife, but a great deal of trouble and expense."

Making: Vegan Molasses Cookies.  I'm not vegan, but love eating cookie batter without eggs - and another positive is that these come out very soft - maybe too soft? Still delicious. (Try these, too.)

Watching: Endless youtube videos about skincare.  One of the finer examples of internet rabbitholes, and yet so addicting.  Here you go.

Quoting: This may be my new favorite, by none other than Mary Oliver:
There were times over the years when life was not easy, but if you're working a few hours a day and you've got a good book to read, and you can go outside to the beach and dig for clams, you're okay.

What are you currently reading, making, or watching?

No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!