Monday, February 26, 2018

Worth Reading

*Tap-tap*

Hi again!

As classes and work have picked up over the last couple of years (!) I've been over on Instagram, posting every few months with quick reviews and pictures from daily life.  Liking and commenting seem easier over there, without as much prep time required.

Over the last few months I've been pulling together articles and things I like, sending them to a few friends with a quick "worth reading!" and wishing I had a place to keep track of them all.  Then I remembered - duh - I have a blog.  So here I am again, slowly, with some pieces to share with you:

On failure, perfectionism, and the "trophy" generation, from the New York Times.  Rather than stomping all over millennials, this article looks closely at students who have been raised to see failure as fatal. What does it look like for a school to help shift perception rather than condemn attitudes? What would it mean to have a "failure fund" at your disposal?

On taxes, from the ladies of Bitches Get Riches.  They have been growing on me recently, and this article is timely.  Getting on top of personal and professional goals, savings goals, and (of course) taxes have all been on my mind.

What Bullets Do To Bodies by Jason Fagone.  First, there are no graphic photos in this article.  Second, if you want to see what slow change and one woman's influence has looked like in Philadelphia over the last twenty years, read about this trauma surgeon.

I don't know how I found Myleik Teele, but I'm glad I did - she is a businesswoman and entrepreneur based in Atlanta, GA.  Her podcasts are spot-on: straightforward and focused on specific issues, relatable, encouraging, not too long, and I've been listening to them for a while now.

Last but not least, a real-live book: Homegoing by Yaa Gyasi.  Do you remember when I reviewed Toni Morrison's A Mercy and wrote that I wished there had been more connections between characters? As I was reading Homegoing,  I thought: "These connections are so, so beautifully done." I loved reading this book, and I haven't said that in a long time.

Let me know your thoughts in the comments, or if you've read anything worth reading lately.

Have a great week!


No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!