Monday, August 17, 2015

It's Monday, What Are You Reading?

We're back! Boxes have been mostly unpacked, pictures have been hung, and life is beginning to get back to normal.  I've been to my new local library and am excited about finding new places and books to read.  

Here's what I've been reading over the last few weeks in limbo, and what I'm reading right now:



The Magicians by Lev Grossman.  Man, what a book.  I love fantasy, especially fantasy series, heard SO many good things - I think I only saw terrific reviews wherever I looked - and it just sort of flopped for me.  At over 400 pages, it was hard to get through.  I've got a review coming up with more about why.

Life After Life by Kate Atkinson.  This is the book I picked up after reading The Magicians, and it flew for me.  Also a bit dark, and I keep waiting for something terrible to happen (ha!) but I'm really liking all of the characters, the time period, the ambiance, the descriptions of the weather, everything.  I'm about a third of the way through.

In the Unlikely Event by Judy Blume.  I was never a Judy Blume reader as a kid, so I went in without any expectations.  So far, it seems very strange - and by that I mean I don't really know what genre it is.  It reads like a YA book, which is really well done, and then there are pieces that are very heavy and adult and don't quite fit in the YA style I think she's writing.  I like it, but it's weird.  Anybody else have mixed feelings? I'm about halfway through.

And that's it! Thanks for hanging in there with me during the move, and I'm looking forward to getting back into blogging.  I'll be posting once a week, most likely on Mondays (for these kinds of posts) or Tuesdays (for reviews).

Happy August! What are you reading?

No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!