Thursday, August 7, 2014

the english girl review

Happy Thursday, all!  If I were jumping head-first into themes, today could be called "Thriller Thursday," since this week's review is of The English Girl, by Daniel Silva.  I don't usually grab spy-assassin novels from the shelves, but I was traveling a few months ago and happened to pick this one up before a flight.  It was not what I'd expected, but I ended up enjoying it.  If you've never heard of this author (like me, you were apparently under a crime-rock) and are looking for a gripping story, I'd check it out.

Basic plot: (from goodreads) When a beautiful young British woman vanishes on the island of Corsica, a prime minister's career is threatened with destruction. Allon, the wayward son of Israeli intelligence, is thrust into a game of shadows where nothing is what it seems...and where the only thing more dangerous than his enemies might be the truth.


On a scale from 1 to Cripplingly Depressing: Well, there's violence and assassination...so - high in that regard - but this was not a dark, brooding read.

Memories from reading: I picked this one up on the way home from a trip and the descriptions of the Mediterranean (Greece/Crete, Jerusalem) were wonderful.  The characters were diverse and engaging, and I would have liked to have seen more of the group that worked together.  I hadn't heard of Daniel Silva before, but this is one of a series (#13, yikes), so it's possible that's fleshed out in other books.


Teeth-gnashing: For the first half of the book I thought it was going to be one thing, but then it turned into something totally different.  To be truthful, it started to bore me, but after a brief and slightly miffed hiatus, I liked a lot.  It almost seemed like two different books.


Weapon of Choice: Chunkster paperback from Hudson News at the airport.

Other titles by this author:
The Kill Artist
The English Assassin
The Rembrandt Affiar
The Defector

Have you read books written by this author before? Are you big into crime novels? 

No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!