Monday, January 26, 2015

It's Monday, What Are You Reading?


After looking at another blogger's "It's Monday, What Are You Reading?" post last week, I saw that it's Book Journey that hosts!  Glad I found her blog and glad to be joining again this Monday.

What am I reading?

I wasn't really getting into The Ship of Brides by Jojo Moyes like I thought I would, so I decided to put it down.  On Friday, some book mail came (hooray!) and I decided to read the first few pages of each.  I went with Fadeaway Girl by Martha Grimes, since I was in the mood for a good mystery, but I think I should have read her earlier books to know what was going on - I thought it was a stand-alone, but it looks more like it's part of a series.

But! I am loving Someone by Alice McDermott.  It reminds me a little bit of A Tree Grows in Brooklyn, and I'm hoping it's less tragic.  The writing is so vivid in the small moments and reminiscent of a kind of New York I'm not sure I ever knew, but heard stories about.  Here's one favorite piece from early reading:

"I pushed my glasses back on my nose.  Small city birds the color of ashes rose and fell along the rooftops.  In the fading evening light, the stoop beneath my thighs, as warm as breath when I first sat down, now exhaled a shallow chill." (McDermott, 7.)

What are you reading this week?

No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!